Several members of Donald Trump’s future administration have been victims of “violent threats”, the president-elect’s spokesperson said on Wednesday, referring in particular to “bomb threats”.
“Last night and this morning, several people appointed by President Trump to join his team were victims of violent and anti-American threats,” Karoline Leavitt said in a statement.
American authorities did not immediately confirm this information.
Donald Trump’s spokesperson spoke of “attacks” ranging from “bomb threats” to “swatting”, a practice which consists of provoking police raids on victims, without disclosing the names of the people threatened.
For his second term, the Republican billionaire has chosen to place extremely loyal lieutenants in strategic positions.
Elise Stefanik, appointed by Donald Trump to be American ambassador to the UN, said in a statement that she had been “warned of a bomb threat at (her) home”.
The presidential campaign was one of the most tense in modern US history, with Donald Trump notably being the victim of two assassination attempts.