Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez called on the US administration today to reconsider the new customs duties that President Donald Trump announced that he would impose on European goods.
Trump said on Wednesday that the United States will impose 25% customs duties on car imports.
The European Commission said on Thursday that the European Union is a “firm and thoughtful response” to this.
“Today, from here, I would like to invite the American administration again to reconsider its decision, open a dialogue with the European Commission, and stop this nonsense,” Sanchez added in a speech in Madrid.
German criticism
For her part, Analeina Perbuk, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Caretaker Government in Germany, criticized the customs duties on the cars announced by Trump.
During her meeting with her Estonian counterpart Margos Zin in Berlin, Perbook said Thursday: “Whoever destroys the entire house using the demolition ball just because the ceiling needs to be restored, he will eventually find himself in front of ruins that cannot be easily re -assembled.”
In turn, the Estonian minister warned that commercial wars and customs duties do not benefit anyone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr_hmrcsuig
Perbric explained that the declared customs duties will negatively affect the global economy, stressing that the Europeans will take measures to protect their industries and their jobs.
“The Europeans do not want a trade war, especially among friends,” she added, noting that they are constantly ready to negotiate, “but only on the basis of rules and mutual respect, not using” demolition ball. “
Perbook noted that the Europeans “are intensively prepared to protect our markets, consumers, and industries, if others violate international rules.”
On Wednesday, President Trump announced the imposition of customs duties on imported cars by 25%, and directed a threat to the European Union and Canada to impose a broader customs duties than before, if the two agreed to cause economic damage in the United States.
Car sector losses
The Deloitette Auditing and Administrative Consulting Company expected that the customs duties announced by Trump will lead to a sharp decrease in German automotive exports to the United States.
According to the German branch of the company in Munich, it is expected that the exports of German car manufacturers and spare parts to the United States will decrease by up to 29%, which is equivalent to a loss of 8.2 billion euros.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1jcrhwsnng
An Indian offer
In India, two government sources said that New Delhi offered customs customs discounts on imports of agricultural products from the United States such as almonds and cranberries, as an additional waiver of the United States in the hope of avoiding Trump’s imposition of anti -customs duties next week.
Unlike China, Canada and the European Union, India is striving to satisfy the Trump administration.
According to Reuters earlier this week, India is open to reducing customs duties on more than half of the US imports of $ 23 billion.
The Indian Minister of Trade, Bush Joel, said Thursday that the trade talks “are going well”, and that the bilateral trade agreement that is still under discussion will benefit both countries.
As for China, she said on Thursday that “there is no winner in a commercial war,” Foreign Ministry spokesman Gio Jia Kon said at a press conference that “there is no winner in a commercial war or a customs war. The growth and prosperity of any country are not achieved by imposing customs duties.”